“This Ezra went up from Babylon, and he was a scribe skilled in the law of Moses, which the LORD God of Israel had given; and the king granted him all he requested because the hand of the LORD his God was upon him” (Ezra 7:6).
The best thing a believer of Christ can have is the acceptance and companionship of God Almighty. There can be nothing better in life than it. Of all the things a man can possess God’s elect throughout the history have recognized His acceptance and companionship as the finest. It is the most prized asset. People often tend to set it aside owing to fears, thoughts and knowledge. Yet, in wars, various battles, matters of justice and in needs it is only the Lord’s hand upon a person that gives victory. The nations too will not question it, though few worthless men may disapprove it. So, what leads one to gain the Almighty Lord’s favor? The book of Ezra itself reveals it in the above verse, but the real catch is what we gather from it.
- One must be thorough with the law of God. This was Ezra’s strength.
- But his strength had coordination. It was his zeal (7:10). He set his heart to study God’s law, practice it and teach it to others. What an extraordinary determination! Thus, he became skilled in God’s law.
- The term ‘skill’ here does not simply mean ‘to know.’ It is ability with readiness to apply the law when and where necessary. At every instance Ezra was aware of how to apply God’s law.
- Many church-goers do not know the full law of God and is the reason they go wayward concerning it.
- The reason for their waywardness may be their sheer negligence to learn and obey God’s law, but it could also be the lack of desire for God and His law in the scribes, who are preachers while in some it is the absence of direction to fulfill the desire in them.
- In any case being unskilled in God’s law tragically leads to lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and the boastful pride of life (1 John 2:16). Equally, pride and much talk is a sign of lacking skill in God’s law.
- Being skilled in God’s law helps a person control emotions and thoughts necessarily allowing for good consequences to appear.
- It was such control that later allowed Ezra to obtain the king’s kindness.
- In any situation if one is able to skillfully apply God’s law, God works in those situations to make them favorable to him.
- A wonderful nature of being skilled at God’s law is the ability to stay calm and think as God desires. Staying calm is a synonym for patience. It helps to watch carefully for the right outcome.
- By skillfully carrying on God’s law we do not sin and at the right time find His favor for the upper hand over a troubling situation.
- At times when skillfully applying God’s law we appear to be losing the battle, as we do not reflect the worldly wisdom. But in reality we are fishing out every ounce of foolishness from the enemy to put an end to his act.
- Principally, the skillful application of God’s law builds irrevocable character, which won over the king’s heart for Ezra.
- By knowing how to apply God’s law we win many hearts and the knowledge of good increases among men.
- Skillful application of God’s law means we know how to prepare and overcome each and every situation before us.